Search This Blog

Monday, May 18, 2009

The Needle Point Pattern


This past week I decided to try to incorporate some more complicated dressage like patterns into my lessons. I picked the Needlepoint Pattern - See my illustration to the right. (Lesson #2 in the 101 Dressage Exercises for Horse & Rider by Jec Aristotle Ballou - See my recommend reading list). I think it's an excellent pattern that requires students to think ahead and to use their legs as aids to steering instead of just relying on their hands. Additionally, according to the book the pattern "loosens your horse." (Aristotle Ballou, pg 4) I tried the pattern in two of my classes: a semi-private lesson with two 10 year old girls on Monday and my B1 Adult Group Class on Thursday night.

The semi-private lesson seemed to enjoy the pattern a lot more than the Adult Group. Because the pattern takes up half of the ring the other riders either (a) have to wait and watch or (b) you have to come up with something simple and safe for them to do while a rider completes the pattern. I chose the former and asked my students to wait and watch as their classmates walked then trotted the course. I would recommend the pattern for private lessons or semi-private lessons with less than 3 students or as a pattern to practice on your own when you're riding.

1 comment:

  1. I've got to try this with Skippydoo!

    By the way, if you're looking for any more interesting horse healthcare books...Grooming to Win by Susan E. Harris. It explains a ton about keeping a horse happy and in shape, and of course gives you a bunch of cool braids to try too!

    ReplyDelete